Sunday 10 March 2013

A Day with Ruth – 2nd of March, 2013





(in Spanish, the “th” sound goes unpronounced. Ruth’s name is therefore pronounced “Rue”)

On Saturday, I went to the nearby village of Habinero to visit one of my 7th grade students, a young girl by the name of Ruth.
                           
Ruth is twelve years old and has two young brothers who live with her and her mother. I teach one of her younger brothers, Ismael, in sixth grade. Ruth would like to be an English teacher when she is older and seems pretty determined about it. (Even on days when she doesn’t have English class, she comes and finds me and asks for a word of the day, to add to her ever growing English vocabulary.)

When I arrived in Habinero, having caught a ride with another volunteer, Ruth’s cousin, a boy called Anderson, walked me to her house on the outskirts of the village. (Amusingly, Anderson seemed to be infatuated with a young girl in my 7th grade class called Perla.) I gave quite a surprise to my students who saw me walking through the village, unused to seeing me outside of my own village.

Ruth had cooked lunch and was very proud to serve me up a full Dominican bandera – rice (by the pound), beans and fried salami in sauce. I helped her mother to sort clothes for sale and then Ruth, her family and I sat outside in the breeze while Ruth’s mother ate her own lunch.

Then Ruth showed me around her neighbourhood of Habinero, introducing me to other students and their families, pointing our houses of family and people she thought I should know. We bought sweet oranges from a girl with a big bowl of them and visited another one of my students, Carmen Lina, and her brothers. Ismael showed off with his slingshot and we watched 15 minutes of, bizarrely enough, a Spanish dub of Dodgeball that was playing on Carmen Lina’s tiny tv.

Poignantly, on the way home, Ruth pointed out a small square of concrete next to a deep, rocky trench, with a single room still standing on the edge of the concrete. This was where Ruth’s house had stood, until the tropical storm Isaac washed it away in August of last year. Ruth’s current house, on the edge of the village, was built by the government while Ruth and her family stayed with an aunt in Barahona, the nearby city. The rocky trench I had not noticed earlier was the path the river followed when it overflowed its banks.

Back at home, we fried plaintains and salami for a snack and ate sitting in the back doorway, watching chickens peck at the packed earth. We talked about school and Ismael’s hobby of fighting fish. Her younger brothers demonstrated their reading ability out of coveted textbooks and told me about their classes at Habinero’s small primary school. At the end of the day, Ruth’s uncle took us back to La Hoya on his motorbike and Ruth and I said goodbye at the school gate.

I enjoyed getting to experience another village and pass time with my students, spending my free time in the same way as the children I teach. It was eye-opening to see how some of my most disadvantaged students live and work but rewarding to witness the fruit of my time in the community as I recognised friends and was recognised by students.

No comments:

Post a Comment